On January 30th, we’re kicking off the year with the launch of Night Bass, a new event series curated by the king of heavy bass house AC Slater and his Brooklyn-based record label Party Like Us. Starting January 30 at Sound Nightclub in Los Angeles, Night Bass features a diverse array of talent highlighting leaders of the U.K. bass-driven scene and caters to the night owls of the world.
Serving as Los Angeles’ best new underground event, Night Bass brings the sound that’s bubbling out of the bass bins from dark clubs and warehouses the world over direct to local audiences. Expect to hear cutting-edge house, garage, bassline, and boundary-pushing music. Together with Dim Mak, Party Like Us, and AC Slater, Night Bass brings the most unique party to Los Angeles.
For the opening event, Night Bass welcomes original Dirtybird player Christian Martin, who brings his tech-house flavor to the dance floor, along with Party Like Us label head AC Slater himself, who adds his unique spin on house and bass music. Main Course co-founder Astronomar joins the night with additional support from LA bass head Petey Clicks and local LA tastemaker Bones.
For the 411 on this exciting new event series, check out our exclusive interview with AC Slater!
1. Dim Mak: You are gearing up to present a collaborative party between Dim Mak and your label, Party Like Us. The night is being introduced as a home for cutting-edge house, garage, bassline, and more. Can you elaborate on the type of music party-goers will hear?
Think high-energy bass music with some soul. Somewhere between the big world of EDM and the underground sound of house music, that’s where Night Bass lives.
2. Describe the Party Like Us brand.
We want to share our musical influences and tastes with everyone. Party Like Us is bringing unique sounds to America on a regular basis via our releases. We want to shake things up and show music fans new sounds to keep them excited about dance music.
3. What can partygoers expect from an event thrown by Party Like Us and Dim Mak?
People can expect a well-curated night of fresh, bass-heavy house music that Party Like Us specializes in with the hype and excitement of a Dim Mak production.
4. How will Night Bass be different from any other party in the LA area?
This isn’t an event about standing and watching crazy visuals or an LED wall light up. This is about enjoying music on a nice sound system in a great atmosphere. On top of that, you will not hear a lot of this music anywhere else in LA. That’s the difference, something fresh for the city, an alternative to the norm.
5. You will be spinning at these parties. What are some tracks that you think will set the tone for the night?
You’ll hear me play a lot of forthcoming, unreleased Party Like Us tracks as well as tunes from labels like Black Butter, Four 40 Records, Rinse, Trouble & Bass, and much more. Exciting, forward-thinking music, from uplifting vocal tracks to dark, driving bassline tunes.
I’ve also created a special Night Bass Spotify Playlist featuring songs I’ve been playing out for the past month or so that always get the party going, along with some dope tracks by the artists performing at the very first Night Bass event.
6. Fast-forward one year: You have the amazing opportunity to curate a very special Night Bass 1-Year Anniversary Party. Who are those special guest DJs that would grace the decks?
My 1-year anniversary dream line up might be:
U.K. Garage legend DJ EZ
Taiki & Nulight
AC Slater & Petey Clicks (B2B)
7. Anything else you want to tell your fans and friends?
Shout out to Sound and Dim Mak for helping us bring this to life. Shout out to all the Party Animals coming to get involved in the Night Bass movement every month!