Dim Mak presents The Aoki Files. This is a new web series Steve Aoki is doing focusing on all the new Dim Mak artists and their releases. Every week he will interview different artists that have released a new record on Dim Mak Records.
Israeli psy-trance duo Infected Mushroom expands their sonic palette on their latest EP “Infected & Friends, Vol. 1″, out now. Infected Mushroom appends their EP with different genres including reggae with Hope 6 for “Where Do I Belong” and trance elements with Astrix for “Astrix On Mushrooms”. The two are midway on the “East Coast Fungus Among Us” tour with The M Machine, Shreddie Mercury and Randy Seidman.
Infected Mushroom Fun Fact: Their favorite spot in the whole world is “Frank’s Taos in Tijuana. That is all”.
Since hooking up in 1997, Israeli psytrance duo Infected Mushroom has used elements of Goa, trance, industrial, and rock in their music. Their latest EP, Friends On Mushrooms Vol.1, is no different. We checked in on Erez “Eisen” and Amit “Duvdev” Duvdevani to talk reggae, tacos, psilocybin, Celine Dion and Diplo.
VIBE: You’ve expanded your sonic palette on this EP, adding a bit of electro, moombahton, reggae & dub to your signature psy/trance sound. Infected Mushroom: The genres you mentioned are really taking hold in many markets around the world – we feel like our take on these types of music is very unique, but it’s not our goal to become an electro producer, or a moombahton producer, etc. It’s our only desire to make people dance, and to continue trying new things.
VIBE: Since you’re trying out reggae, any thoughts on collaborating with Snoop Lion or Diplo who just flipped from Hip Hop to reggae? Infected Mushroom: We’d love to collaborate. Diplo is awesome – we really dig him.
VIBE: You’ve worked with some big names in rock – Ray Manzarek (The Doors), Perry Farrell (Jane’s Addiction), and Jonathan Davis (Korn). Are there any other rock stars you have on tap? Infected Mushroom: Les Claypool would be super nutty! Dare I say, Celine Dion?
Following Infected Mushroom’s 2012 release ‘Army of Mushrooms’, their latest EP, “Friends On Mushrooms, Vol. 1” is now available for pre-order on iTunes. The release features four tracks including collaborations with Astrix and Hope 6. You can preview the EP in its entirety on SoundCloud now and pre-order on iTunes before the release, January 22nd.
Dim Mak Records wrap up the year by delivering the most prominent tracks of it’s 2012 catalog, ‘Dim Mak Greatest Hits of 2012: Volume 1’. The first collection features 15 tracks from a mix of vanguard artists including Azari & III, Autoerotique, Dirtyphonics, Proxy, Wax Motif & Neoteric, Tiesto, Steve Aoki, Felix Cartal, Alvin Risk, Infected Mushroom and more. The vast, colorful collection will span over 3 volumes of Dim Mak music embedded in several genres and international appeal.
“Volume 1 of 3 compilations, features the best songs from the Dim Mak 2012 catalog that have been played by DJs from all around the world and those who have been a major influence from the Dim Mak roster. If you want a full taste of our greatest hits, get to licking!” – STEVE AOKI
Phat Brahms was the result of a collaboration between Steve Aoki, Angger Dimas, Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike. The track made its debut at Tomorrowland, one of the largest music festivals in the world and was later featured in the official video. Killbot‘s album Sound Surgery took over the second spot on the iTunes dance chart after the release along with a feature as a New & Noteworthy album alongside Dirty from Dirtyphonics. This past year we also welcomed a number of artists to the Dim Mak roster including Azari & III, who made their U.S. debut with their self titled album and the dance music pioneer, DJ Pierre.
Volume 1 befits the beginning year of 2013, and rallies fans to get excited for Dim Mak’s new sounds set for release. Steve Aoki recaps on each of the 15 tracks below:
1. Proxy “Raven” – Out of all of Proxy’s hits, “Raven” was the definitive sound in electro, when it came out in 2009. Taken from his latest album ‘Music from the Eastblock Jungles’ ,which chronicles all of his hits
2. Azari & III “Reckless (With Your Love)” – Massive hit from their self-titled album, and is f****ing great single that has impressed DJs since 2009
3. Dirtyphonics “DIRTY” – Dirty is the first single off their upcoming album on Dim Mak Records; be sure to look out for it!
4. Killbot “Sound Surgery” – Sound Surgery is the introduction to Jonathan Davis’s brand new project, fusing dubstep and heavy metal
5. Wax Motif & Neoteric “Go Deep (Torro Torro Remix)” – Its one of the most played records, from Avicii to Skrillex. Literally everyone is playing that record all over the world…
6. Steve Aoki & Angger Dimas vs. Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike “Phat Brahms” – Huge single; check out the remix package and music video coming soon…
7. DJ Pierre “Strobe Lights, Laser, Disco” – Excited to release this track from the “founder of acid house”.
8. Tiesto & Steve Aoki “Tornado feat. Polina (Kill The Noise Remix)” – Kill The Noise crushed it on this Tornado remix
9. Booka Shade “Tomorrow Belongs To Us” – Booka Shade’s best song since “Mandarin Girl” and “Body Language”
10. Felix Cartal “Tonight (feat. Maja Ivarsson from The Sounds)” – Biggest track off of Cartal’s Different Faces album
11. Autoerotique “Roll The Drums (Clockwork Remix)” – You will hear about Clockwork again in a later compilation as well. Roll The Drums Biggest vocal record from Autoerotique
12. South Central “BEAThoven” – Knife Party was rinsing this records in their sets constantly, so we had to put this out! its so massive and classical.
13. Albin Myers “Hells Bells” – Straight from Sweden, this massive record has been played from the likes of David Guetta to Tiesto
14. Alvin Risk “Psychotic” – One of my favorite records from 2012! Alvin Risk is incredible dj, amazing performer and producer
15. Infected Mushroom “Never Mind” – I feel Army of Mushrooms is the best album to date of their music. This is the first track from their album on Dim Mak, and was executive produced by me. I have a close connection with this album.
“Infected Mushroom — Ratcheting, propulsive groans and aggressive synthetic beats align this Israeli psychedelic-trance duo closer to industrial rock than peppy electronic dance music. Their complex live show are spectacles worthy of full gawping.” – NYTimes
The Haifa geniuses of Infected Mushroom are opening a new chapter in their volume of unique psychedelic trance with the start of their tour,“The Unveiling”.
The tour kicks off tonight Aug 9. in DC, complete with their famous visual display structure conceptualized by Heather Shaw, Vita Motus Design Studio and 3D mapping by Vello Virkhaus, V Squared Labs. Not to mention, OC Weekly salutes “Infected Mushroom is the must-see EDM act of 2012”.
It was only a matter of time before the Opiuo Remix of Infected Mushrooms, U R So Fucked would find its way to the Top 10. Thanks to you guys, the track is currently No. 8 on Beatport’s UK Glitch Hop charts. If you’re not a proud owner of the track already, feel free to purchase the single on Beatport to help move this track to No.1. Listen to the Opiuo remix
… As reported by OC Weekly
Infected Mushroom has undoubtedly placed it’s mark in EDM forever with the evolution of the psychedelic trance genre. In 2004, the Israeli duo took a leap of faith by moving their studios from Haifa, Israel to Los Angeles, hoping to expand their musical horizons and work a new album in America. Fast forward eight years to Saturday, Infected Mushroom launched their new visual display dubbed “The Unveiling” at the Avalon in Hollywood, adding a new chapter to their already-prolific career.
Infected Mushroom – Army Of Mushrooms, otherwise noted as their forthcoming full-length release on Dim Mak Records, immediately stormed the No. 1 spot on Beatport’s Top 100 releases. Their bold move catering to more of the dubstep genre has proven their ability to vary into new categories, while still maintaining their unrivaled success, or in this case being Number 1.
On behalf of Dim Mak Records and the entire Infected Mushroom crew, we sincerely thank you for all the support! This release has been an exciting journey, and we look forward to bringing you more in the coming weeks! Stay tuned for more information on future releases, tour dates, and more by subscribing to the Dim Mak Records Facebook page here.